Author Topic: post ssri sexual dysfunction  (Read 71393 times)

searchingforcure11

post ssri sexual dysfunction
« on: June 18, 2011, 11:36:46 PM »
I am seeing huge improvements over the last few months and I have a thought about this.  I am not taking any supplements or anything to help or improve.  I know the majority of you know that antidepressants cause post ssri sexual dysfunction.  I was checking out an article and if you notice it says it can last for months years or sometimes indefinitely.  So there is a time frame that the symptoms can begin to go away according to this article.  I believe my brain somehow has been reprogammed and the effects of effexor which I was taking about 8 years ago is finally starting to go away.  I am noticing more erections at night time as well.  I am always horny and get erections much easier now then back a few years ago.  I have posted before about improvements but I really feel this is for real this time.  I notice almost normal sensation during ejaculation about 80 percent of the time.  Occasionally, I will have that bad orgasm.  I have noticed the percentage of good orgasms go up in the past 3 months gradually.  The last few weeks its about 80 percent.  I will keep you all posted if I still see success.  It has been great though lately.  The build up has been incredible to the point where I feel the waves of pleasure as I build up to orgasm.  That is the most noticeable difference for me.  I feel pleasure during build up where in the past there was not much pleasure there.  I feel the build up of pleasure it gets stronger and stronger like it used to be.  Time will tell but my sexual problems did start after I got off effexor.  I never had any issues before that.  I am convinced the effexor screwed my brain chemistry up and it took about 8 years to get back to normal.  I just wanted to post to people for encouragement that this can turn around.  I hope it keeps going strong for me but I will definitely post an update often.  

Post-SSRI sexual dysfunctionAccording to one source, Post-SSRI sexual dysfunction (PSSD) is an iatrogenic type of sexual dysfunction caused directly by the previous use of SSRI antidepressants.[30]
While apparently uncommon, it can last for months, years, or sometimes indefinitely after the discontinuation of SSRIs.One or more of the following sexual symptoms may persist or begin after the discontinuation of SSRIs

Decreased or absent libido
Impotence or reduced vaginal lubrication
Difficulty initiating or maintaining an erection or becoming aroused
Persistent genital arousal disorder despite absence of desire
Muted, delayed or absent orgasm (anorgasmia)
Reduced or no experience of pleasure during orgasm (ejaculatory anhedonia)
Premature ejaculation
Weakened penile, vaginal or clitoral sensitivity
Genital anesthesia
Loss or decreased response to sexual stimuli
Reduced semen volume
Priapism (persistent erectile state of the penis or clitoris)
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 11:40:49 PM by dan1121 »

searchingforcure11

Re: post ssri sexual dysfunction
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2011, 11:49:51 PM »
Has anyone ever tried Amantadine?

Off-label uses Amantadine is frequently used to treat the characteristic fatigue often experienced by patients with multiple sclerosis.[9] Additionally, there have been anecdotal reports that low-dose amantadine has been successfully used to treat ADHD.[10] Limited data has shown that amantadine may help to relieve SSRI-induced sexual dysfunction.[11][12][13]

NoFun

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 09:12:51 AM »
Has anyone ever tried Amantadine?
I tried it many moons ago, on an as needed basis. I didn't find any effect. I think it is worth a try for anyone, though. Cheap and safe.

needhelpage31

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011, 01:14:52 PM »
I'm sure glad to hear about your improvement. It would be nice if the passage of time could see the reversal of central SSRI effects.

My own EA was not caused by SSRI's, and for me, the passage of time has seen things get worse and worse for me. I'd give anything to go back to the way things felt for me five years ago. And even then I was frustrated enough to fly around the country visiting doctors. I can hardly believe it.

I've tried Amantadine, but it was a while back. I think I have some left, and may try it out.

searchingforcure11

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2011, 06:48:06 PM »
Seems to be different causes of EA.  I noticed it got worse and worse for about 7 years.  Then I noticed improvements on occasion once in a while and now it seems to be more consistent.  Could it be possible for something to be changing in the brain even though you werent on antidepressants.  Chemicals in the brain could possibly change who knows without the SSRIs. 

AnotherEAguy

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2011, 04:03:20 PM »
Yeah, I've never touched an SSRI either, but Dan, it makes me glad to know you're seeing improvements. Keep posting to let us know how it goes.

searchingforcure11

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2011, 09:29:32 AM »
Thanks AnotherEAguy.  Ya I will definitely keep posting.  Had another good orgasm last night.  Last night was more promising because normally I dont get off if I am not really in the mood.  Last night I said why not give it a try and see and I was not horny at all to begin and even the build up wasnt incredible but the orgasm turned out good.  It just seems I am able to let go and release better during ejaculation.  I am able to just let loose and let it flow out and I can feel the sensations.  So even though I wasnt turned on to start it ended well.  I am counting about 6 straight orgasms now that I would say range around 7 to 8.  I am still not convinced I am cured but I am just reporting to you all that I am seeing a good streak here of good orgasms.  If it keeps up for a few more months I will say I am cured. 

searchingforcure11

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2011, 06:16:54 AM »
A buddy of mine gave me a hydrocodone and that made my orgasms really good.  Build up was incredible.  I was already experiencing improvement not related ot hydros but this helped me.  I was able to get off 4 times in one night and 3 of them were pretty good and build up was quite pleasureable.  I didnt even mind prolonging it because it felt nice.  Anyone ever try hydrocodone and have any results?

Tony

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2011, 04:59:12 PM »
Hmm, seems odd dan.. may I ask the period of time you left between masturbating and taking the hydro? Most information seems to say opioids such as hydrocodone should have the opposite effect and produce difficulties with orgasm, hydrocodone has lowering testosterone listed as an adverse effect, however after cesation this should rebound back.

Perhaps your taking just 1 pill caused a quick rebound effect or perhaps as the drug hasn't really been given time to build up in your system and manifest as orgasm problems you benefited from some of its other effects such as sedation and an increase in endorphins.

searchingforcure11

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2011, 05:12:42 PM »
I masterbated about 3 hours after taking the hydro.  I read something online that hydros can have a relaxing effect on the muscles that cause ejaculation.  If that is the case it would allow me the normal release.  It seems when we dont have good orgasms the build up isnt great and we cant control the release as well.  I know that has been my problem when I have a non pleasurable ejaculation.  It just comes out and I am not ready.  You are right though maybe since I dont really take it the negative effects havent hit me yet.  Or maybe if you just take in very small doses 1 or 2 times a week you can avoid the negative effects.  I know this room has talked about relaxing the muscles that control ejaculation.  Maybe hydros do that in some people.  I was having success before the hydros anyway.  This just enhanced the build up more and orgasm a bit more.

Tony

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2011, 07:44:37 PM »
I share similar enthusiasm that my problem may be related to muscle tension, the closest ive had to a pleasurable experience within 10 years since my problem randomly started (no SSRI's or any medication was taken) was about a year ago when my ex partner was horny and decided to use me whilst I was asleep, I eventually ended up in a half awake state for a short period of time and things felt fantastic, as soon as I was fully awake though the pleasure quickly returned to dull. I would imagine the reason for that initial pleasure would be relaxed muscles in a half-sleep sedated state.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 07:48:42 PM by Tony »

NoFun

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2011, 11:55:50 PM »
I share similar enthusiasm that my problem may be related to muscle tension, the closest ive had to a pleasurable experience within 10 years since my problem randomly started (no SSRI's or any medication was taken) was about a year ago when my ex partner was horny and decided to use me whilst I was asleep, I eventually ended up in a half awake state for a short period of time and things felt fantastic, as soon as I was fully awake though the pleasure quickly returned to dull. I would imagine the reason for that initial pleasure would be relaxed muscles in a half-sleep sedated state.
Would your partner be open to that again? And again? And again?

I think the old line "if it feels good, do it" definitely applies to us.

searchingforcure11

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2011, 04:57:52 AM »
But he woke up and it wasnt as pleasurable.  Need something to really knock you out so you just lay there and have her suck on you. 

searchingforcure11

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2011, 08:33:50 PM »
I took 1 hydrocodone Saturday around dinner time and had the most amazing build up and orgasm in over 10 years.  I believe our issues could come from lack of dopamine receptors.  I could feel pleasure and build up like never before.  I took 1 again today and the same thing.  I literally masterbated for 2 hours straight before I had an orgasm.  The build up was so good that I did not want to come. THere was more pleasure in the build up itself then the orgasm.  I know hydros have similar effects on other people but soem people notice no sexual improvements and just the high and euphoria the drug brings.  This leads me to believe that yes the hydro could be the major reason for the amazing sensations but maybe I dont need a hydro to get completely back to normal.  If SSRIs increase serotonin that would have a negative effect on dopamine.  The SSRI's coudl have caused some long term problems with the chemicals in the brain.  I think we need MAOI's.  I have read before about this and did try natural supplements to increase dopamine.  Nothing worked but mayve the reason is taht we need prescription strength.  Adderal is know to have increase or decrease in sex drive.  If soemoen already has high dopamine then adderal would decrease sex drive.  Its all about the balance of nueros.  Doctors seem to always give you SSRIs and not MAOI's.  What if our lack of pleasure is due to low dopamine and not serotonin.  THat would mean no SSRIs would work and would only ruin our sex drive more.  All I know is that hydro put my sex drive at a 10.  I was literally feeling full body pleasure for 2 hours.  I could feel the pleasure running up into my legs and feet.  Every time I have taken a hydrocodone I have had the sexual pleasure I should normally get come back.  I know you cant use these pills regularly.  But if once a week I could take 1 and experience normal sensations that would be worth it.  I would like to look into MAOI;s though to increase dopamine levels.  Something that isnt as addictive as a hydro.  It could be taht I need some long term MAOI given to me to get the dopamine back to normal.  I am pretty excited about this.  I gave up this theory about dopamine when i tried natural supplements.  I think maybe that just wasnt strong enough to cause the increase in dopamine. 

Functions in the brainDopamine has many functions in the brain, including important roles in behavior and cognition, voluntary movement, motivation, punishment and reward, inhibition of prolactin production (involved in lactation and sexual gratification), sleep, mood, attention, working memory, and learning. Dopaminergic neurons (i.e., neurons whose primary neurotransmitter is dopamine) are present chiefly in the ventral tegmental area (VTA) of the midbrain, the substantia nigra pars compacta, and the arcuate nucleus of the hypothalamus.

It has been hypothesized that dopamine transmits reward prediction error, although this has been questioned.[8] According to this hypothesis, the phasic responses of dopamine neurons are observed when an unexpected reward is presented. These responses transfer to the onset of a conditioned stimulus after repeated pairings with the reward. Further, dopamine neurons are depressed when the expected reward is omitted. Thus, dopamine neurons seem to encode the prediction error of rewarding outcomes. In nature, we learn to repeat behaviors that lead to maximizing rewards. Dopamine is therefore believed to provide a teaching signal to parts of the brain responsible for acquiring new behavior. Temporal difference learning provides a computational model describing how the prediction error of dopamine neurons is used as a teaching signal.[citation needed]

The reward system in insects uses octopamine, which is the presumed arthropod homolog of norepinephrine,[9] rather than dopamine. In insects, dopamine acts instead as a punishment signal and is necessary to form aversive memories.[10][11]

NoFun

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2011, 10:36:05 PM »
I took 1 hydrocodone Saturday around dinner time and had the most amazing build up and orgasm in over 10 years.  I believe our issues could come from lack of dopamine receptors. 
Hydrocodone is an opioid, not a dopamine agonist.

I did see some information about opioid deficiency, and the symptoms looked very familiar. I thought it was something to look into. If hydrocodone worked well for you, that argues for opioid deficiency being the problem.