Author Topic: Back onto the subject of sleep  (Read 1824 times)

RocketTN3

Back onto the subject of sleep
« on: January 17, 2018, 02:36:36 AM »
I have to say my sleep pattern has always been sporadic and in trying to nail my sleep problems once and for all I watched a few videos on youtube. One in particular contained some interesting information about how a poor sleep cycle is linked to many different forms of emotional disturbance, but in particular there is a claim at 56:47 of this video of a lecture from Dr Stasha Gominak who says that sleep anatomy overlaps the anatomy of orgasm. Here is the video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uj8FTWCb010

Isn't this interesting?

This is something I didn't know, so please watch the video in full because if you are like me and have always had a very poor circadian rhythm your whole life, perhaps this may be of more importance than you ever realised to your pleasure responses?

I've always suffered from lethargy and poor motivation, even before the onset of my EA, but my sleep even as a young child was not disciplined. Many late nights on computers and television. I wonder if it may be responsible for my EA?

I feel that the subject of sleep and it's importance has been touched on here in a fringe sort of way, as people have reported feeling a difference in sensation from either sleep deprivation, or changing their wake/sleep cycles. Obviously nothing substantive can be taken from these small anecdotal experiences, but does it not warrant further investigation?

NoFun

• Administrator
Re: Back onto the subject of sleep
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2018, 11:13:41 PM »

but in particular there is a claim at 56:47 of this video of a lecture from Dr Stasha Gominak who says that sleep anatomy overlaps the anatomy of orgasm. Here is the video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uj8FTWCb010

Isn't this interesting?

That is interesting.

Any SAD?

I often do feel perked up by lights, and can get on really crappy sleep cycles when there isn't much sun. Some non24 going on. I naturally tend to stay up later and later.

The one orgasm I had came after driving around on a bright day without sunglasses. Very hot. I also had a lot of some sugar free drink that day, so lots of aspartame. (It was Crystal  Light).

Maybe I should try that again.

RocketTN3

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2018, 04:09:12 AM »
SAD, not sure, but I do/have suffered from persistant low mood, I suppose it could be termed a depression of sorts, although I don't think you can use the term without taking each individual on their own merit. Emotional instability yes, feelings of sadness etc, definately made worse by erratic sleep, and anxiety increases significantly if I stay up late and wake up late, dropping to small amounts with a stabilised sleep/wake routine. I think it may be an accumulative thing? We are talking years of dysfunctional rhythm that may become chronic with stress dumped on top? My EA began during high stress, and where my sleep was worst.

For me now in bed before 9:30 and rise around 7pm. Trying to rise with the sun and have eaten my last meal within 2 hours of sunset. Obviously as the day lengths increase into the summer months circadian rhythm could be adjusted accordingly? Try a piece of software called f.lux which helps filter out blue light from screens, which we don't want during the evenings. Give it two weeks minimum.. hope this may help.

NoFun

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2018, 02:51:20 AM »

For me now in bed before 9:30 and rise around 7pm. Trying to rise with the sun and have eaten my last meal within 2 hours of sunset. Obviously as the day lengths increase into the summer months circadian rhythm could be adjusted accordingly? Try a piece of software called f.lux which helps filter out blue light from screens, which we don't want during the evenings. Give it two weeks minimum.. hope this may help.

Even if you don't have SAD, some regular bright light in the morning should help get keep you on cycle.

I use f.lux too.