Author Topic: Likely DHT issue - SRD5A2 gene variant - rs11675297(A;A)  (Read 782 times)

NoFun

• Administrator
Likely DHT issue - SRD5A2 gene variant - rs11675297(A;A)
« on: March 07, 2017, 06:16:15 PM »
SRD5A2 is one of the 5-alpha reducatase genes, which converts Testosterone to DHT.

I've always had bottom of the range DHT blood tests. DHT is the androgen that provides the sexual effects of Testosterone.

So, it all kind of makes sense. Weird gene variant on SRD5A2 ( rs11675297(A;A) ) results in low DHT results in sexual dysfunction.

I always recommend checking DHT levels, though I don't remember anyone coming back with anything.

I also had some other results (insertions) in my SRD5A2 gene, which I assume are also rare and dysfunctional. Promethease results say they have "clinical significance", "ClinVar Pathogenic 3-Oxo-5 alpha-steroid delta 4-dehydrogenase deficiency".
rs587776566(I;I)
rs587776567(I;I)

These results came up in my Ancestry DNA test. My original 23andMe test didn't include them those SNPs, although I wouldn't be surprised if the current ones do. Maybe I'll find that out and let you know.

DHT always made sense to check, and I recommend it again. Genetic testing too. You get an enormous amount of information about that.
http://www.lifeextension.com/Vitamins-Supplements/itemLC500142/Dihydrotestosterone-DHT-Blood-Test

This seems to me quite promising, because it points directly to a lack of DHT, which in the end I could supplement directly, though it is reportedly hard to obtain in the US. Using proviron instead might help.

Anyway, I'm going to buy some DHT tests. Establish another baseline for DHT. Then start with some supplements to increase DHT:
Creatine Monohydrate, caffeine, Butea Superba (Red Kwao Krua) , Phosphatidylserine, Forskolin
https://www.anabolicmen.com/dihydrotestosterone/

I'll keep you all posted on results.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 12:38:31 AM by NoFun »

needhelpage31

Re: Likely DHT issue - SRD5A2 gene variant - rs11675297(A;A)
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2017, 05:55:40 AM »
I'm pretty sure my own DHT levels were checked in past years. I'll have to look back in my records and see if I can find anything.