Author Topic: Analyzing complete lack of sexual sensation  (Read 1660 times)

xduskyx99

Analyzing complete lack of sexual sensation
« on: July 08, 2014, 06:44:49 PM »
Many of us can experience the range of normal sensations on the penis except for pleasure, which has led some to believe that sexual sensation travels a different nerve pathway than the others and that something must be obstructing this pathway, such as a tense pelvic floor. I'm not discounting this theory, just posing another possibility. I was thinking deeply about how sexual sensation is experienced and realized it's more of a metaphysical state of being. The regular sensations could represent the fingers stroking the instrument itself, which is the brain. What I'm hereby saying is that sexual sensation is not separate from the regular senses experienced, but that the brain absorbs these senses which it then transumtes into sexual sensation. If this is an accurate view of how things are then then it would mean that our brains aren't "fine-tuned" to produce sexual pleasure, which is probably way beyond the realm of modern science to understand.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 06:48:51 PM by xduskyx99 »

Saul

Re: Analyzing complete lack of sexual sensation
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2014, 12:40:24 PM »
Metaphysics is a branch of philosophy and the study of the fundamental nature of the universe. It attempts to step beyond physics (and more generally science) by questioning the existence of evidence and subjectivity. It has yet to develop any testable hypotheses or anything of practical value. In comparison physics has given us MRI scanners, mobile phones, satellites....etc. However "metaphysical" is a nonsense word used by spiritualists and means nothing.
To say anything is 'beyond the realm of modern science' is to admit a poor understanding of what science is; its strengths, its weaknesses, its basic values and principles. One could argue the question 'how many fish are there in the ocean right now?' is beyond the realm of modern science simply due to the practical requirements to count every fish. That does not mean we can't have an understanding of fish population.
Anyway I digress a little there....
More importantly your suggestion that "sexual sensation is not separate from the regular senses experienced, but that the brain absorbs these senses which it then transumtes into sexual sensation" is demonstrably false. A Neurologist would explain that different physical sensations are transmitted to the brain along different nerve fibers. Thermoception, proprioception, mechanoreception and nociception are all different senses in the skin sent to the brain by differentiated nerve fibers. If they were not differentiated you would not be able to to tell the difference between being grabbed or being burned. In the rare cases where people do have such problems it is because the nerves have literally crossed wires in some fashion. Different sensations are transmitted to the brain along different nerve fibers and are bundled together in their respective groupings before traveling up the spinal chord to the brain. It is entirely possible for one set of nerves to be damaged but not another. There is a very famous case of a woman who lost only her proprioception (your sense of body space and position) meaning without looking directly at her arm she could not tell you where her arm is. With her eyes closed she would find it impossible to touch her nose with her index finger. Meanwhile all other body sensations remained in tact. This was due to some injection into her spine.
In addition there is a famous case of a man who had his leg amputated. You may have heard of phantom limb syndrome (a person who has lost a limb continues to experience as if it were still there, perhaps an itch, or pain, or feel that it is in some way paralysed). After some time he began to notice that whenever he orgasmed he would experience it in his phantom foot. It turns out the area of the brain responsible for sexual stimulation is right next to the area devoted to foot sensation. When he lost his foot the nerves in his brain responsible for the foot became inactive and receded. While the active orgasm nerve grew over onto this 'dead space' leading him to experience orgasm in his phantom foot.
I appreciate that all ideas must come forward and I don't want to condemn anyone for their suggestions but from a scientific standpoint I have to disagree with your suggestion completely.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 12:42:16 PM by Saul »
EA Dates:
No recollection of orgasm ever
Medical Conditions:
Depression 17-28
Sleep disturbances 19-28 (excessive sleep)
IBS 0-28
Hayfever 0-28
Lactose Intolerance 21-28
Drugs taken:
20-21 Fluoxetine 40mg, 21-23 Venlafaxine 75mg, 24-26 Fluoxetine 40mg Lamotrigine 200mg, 15/07/12-Now Agomela