0 (0%)
Very good
3 (16.7%)
Good
9 (50%)
Does nothing for me
6 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Author Topic: General Anhedonia and Response to Physical Stimulus  (Read 7856 times)

lostmojo

General Anhedonia and Response to Physical Stimulus
« on: July 26, 2010, 01:41:09 AM »
In psychology and psychiatry, "anhedonia" is an inability to experience pleasurable emotions from normally pleasurable life events such as eating, exercise, social interaction or sexual activities. This is primarily a problem with the way the brain processes the stimuli it receives.

What I am trying to capture here is how close any of us are to general anhedonia and also if we can discover any other common body responses to all sorts of different physical stimulation.

Feel free to add other questions to the poll.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 02:02:48 AM by lostmojo »

freistehend

Re: General Anhedonia and Response to Physical Stimulus
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 02:24:15 AM »
Pretty close to general anhedonia here, but I'm not at all sure which way the feedback mechanism works: do I have general anhedonia because I have EA, or the other way around.

NoFun

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 04:44:30 AM »
It was hard for me to answer, because the options don't really match my feelings. There are a lot more emotions besides happy and sad.

I feel that I'm not firing on all emotional cylinders. I seem to lack the more passionate emotions, emotions of deep and automatic valuation, such as love, hate, sadness, contentment, satisfaction, etc., but I don't lack emotions such as amusement, glee, relief, frustration, dread, dejection, fear, anxiety, etc. I've been seeing a psychologist, and he sees that in some way, my life doesn't mean much to me, and I seem strangely indifferent to my fate.

As for my feelings after working out, though I said good, I don't feel good so much as better than I did before. When I don't exercise for a while, I can start feeling a vague anxiety and discomfort, and a good workout almost always will clear out that mood. I remind myself "You always feel better after working out."

lostmojo

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 05:32:02 AM »
Good feedback guys, feel free to make suggestions about how to reword the poll choices. What I am trying to bring out is depths of emotion, I'll have a try at rewording the poll.

This has all come about because I finally saw a neurologist and he thinks it is unlikely that anything is physically broken in the genital area. He thinks it is more likely that something is not working properly in my brain chemistry.

I think it is worthwhile to determine if as a group we have certain characteristics mood wise that may be indicative of a wider problem than just lack of sexual sensation. Perhaps if we don't have strong moods and feelings for instance then it is not possible to "feel" much sexually either, I'm trying to find a correlation.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 05:43:54 AM by lostmojo »

lostmojo

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2010, 05:48:14 AM »
do I have general anhedonia because I have EA, or the other way around.

If anything I would guess the "other way around". Do you have any sexual sensation left at all?

It would seem in my case that I have a little bit of sensation and a little bit of emotion. When I could orgasm and had great sexual sensation was I a more emotional person? I don't know, I wish I could remember. Perhaps someone who has had AE for less time may be able to remember their emotional state before and after.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 05:52:57 AM by lostmojo »

freistehend

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2010, 06:15:17 AM »
If anything I would guess the "other way around". Do you have any sexual sensation left at all?

Not really; what little there is, tends to come and go, all moments of sensation but brief glimpses of what could be. Though I have to also say that my emotional response is somewhat flat, or perhaps others exaggarate (that's a problem when looking into psychological causes; first you have to define what a normal response should be, and that's always subjective). But I can't ever remember having any sensation as such, and having lifetime general anhedonia is somewhat unlikely; maybe a combination of several factors at play here.

Now that I've noticed, I'm fairly certain I voted "I pretty much flatline without much change", but maybe I was too fast with the mouse, because there's no votes for that option... anyway, that's what I was going to vote.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 06:22:40 AM by freistehend »

NoFun

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2010, 03:54:54 PM »
How do you do that? I don't know how you got multiple questions on the same poll. I thought we couldn't do that with the current version of the software.

lostmojo

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2010, 02:59:37 AM »
How do you do that? I don't know how you got multiple questions on the same poll. I thought we couldn't do that with the current version of the software.

Technically there is still only one question per poll but a mod has been added that allows multiple polls on the same topic.

NoFun

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2010, 03:23:24 PM »
Technically there is still only one question per poll but a mod has been added that allows multiple polls on the same topic.
But *how* do you do it? What's the process? I just don't see it.

NoFun

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2010, 01:13:07 PM »
The moderator cleared it up for me. Right below the bottom message in a topic, there are a number of buttons on the right hand side: reply, notify, ADD POLL, sent this topic, print.

Some people say masturbation makes you go blind - maybe there is something to that.

TnT

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2011, 11:28:05 AM »
I voted flatline - general anhedonia is right where I am.  I go about my days wishing i was sleeping instead...a workout does get my heart racing and a boost in energy, if its a short workout.  After a real workout I'm simply wiped and ready to pass out, example, after sex. 

Alan19email

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2011, 10:18:32 AM »
I voted flatline - general anhedonia is right where I am.  I go about my days wishing i was sleeping instead...a workout does get my heart racing and a boost in energy, if its a short workout.  After a real workout I'm simply wiped and ready to pass out, example, after sex. 

Damn! That's very similar to myself! I have to force myself to do anything around here and there is often no joy or thought of reward from doing anything. Some days are better than others but everyday is just another reminder of how tired I am. I too can do a light work out and feel good, but if I push I feel like I just ran the 880.